Do you have a box in your car that is “just in case”? Well the best event planners do too and over the years we have accumulated the best of the best … sharing with you.
- A photographer brings potato chip bag clamps – one day when hotel drapes would not close and she needed the sun to be blocked for a special photo – she pulled out her potato chip bag clamp, brought the drapes together to block the sun temporarily and the photo turned out perfectly.
- A can of WD-40 eliminates squeaky chairs, especially if they are on a podium with miked speakers! Says one convention services planner.
- A business meeting planner brings the essentials – at least they are to him – 3 m sticky notes in a large size and sharpies … when the presentation fails to show or fails to play – here is an option that could save the day.
- A wedding planner in California includes shoe laces in her go-to kit. Not for shoes but for all the other things that need to be open, closed or tied. An entrance door that will not stay open – those shoelaces do the trick (she brings extra-long ones) and they are easy to untie too.’
- Have you ever picked up your event signs and the directional arrows were the wrong way? Or counted on a facility to provide the signage and they were wrong? Pack a small chalkboard or two and colored chalk and you’ll get guests where they need to go.
- Extra cell phone chargers (including for your cell), an extension cord and granola bars – the first two are obvious but the planner who offered this tip said the granola bars are the most important part of the trio because if you have a cell phone about to die, you want a client who is ready to handle what comes next.
- Gaffer’s or duct tape, push pins, eyeglass cleaner and lipstick remover were other great ideas.
- Phone numbers of the support team, cash to tip valet parkers, and extra business cards are mandatory “must haves” too.
Most of these helpful items will fit in a shoe box and might be something you consider having at your ready … and if you don’t have a 911 box – start one now and keep updating it!
Share with us your smart ideas, cannot wait to hear them!